I've been re-reading and pondering Psalm 141.
In my NASB it has a heading: An Evening Prayer for Sanctification and Protection...
I usually don't look at the headings of the chapters in the bible. I find that it gives me a pre-conceived idea of what the theme of the chapter is. I like to determine the theme from my own reading - my own conversation with God.
1. O Lord, I call upon Thee; hasten to me! Give ear to my voice when I call to Thee!
Oh my Lord I am begging for you to be here God. Hasten to me. I am calling to You. I need Your help, Your guidance, Your wisdom, Your protection. I need You. Please Lord God, I am asking for haste here. I know that You are always in control of timing - but I am making a request for a more speedy answer.
2. May my prayer be counted as incense before Thee; The lifting up of my hands as the evening offering.
Lord may I be a sweet aroma for your precious nostrils. May You count my prayer to be precious to You. and oh my God - I lift my hands before you - I lift them HIGH! I pray a prayer of love and one of purity.
3. Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips.
Father - I beg of YOU! shut my mouth when I am not supposed to say something. I find this is my most beloved prayer these days. I so often do not know what to say. Slam my lip-doors SHUT!!!! if I am not supposed to say something. Open them when I am supposed to say something. Help me...
4. Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness with men/women who do iniquity; and do not let me eat of their delicacies.
Protect me from evil people Lord... protect me from both women and men that would manipulate, use me, or use those I care about. Protect me from allowing myself to become embroiled in their wickedness - do not allow me to consider their words of 'charm/fun/flirtation' as anything other than what it is - manipulation for their personal gratification and for their own way.
5. Let the righteous smite me in kindness and reprove me; It is oil upon the head; Do not let my head refuse it. For still my prayer is against their wicked deeds.
Keep me close with my brothers and sisters that you have given me to continue in relationship with. Allow me to place them as iron sharpening iron friends and consider them in my life. Allow them to speak to me - and I to them - freely, as we work out relationship together. I do make the request once again: please Lord allow me to learn GENTLY. Teach me gently. I've had to learn the hard way too many times. I don't want to be there. Let me learn gently.
6. Their judges are thrown down by the sides of the rock, and they hear my words, for they are pleasant. As when one plows and breaks open the earth, our bones have been scattered at the mouth of Sheol.
I know that I could look up in several commentaries or do a bit of digging and see if I could hear what you have to say to me with this particular verse, but Lord - I don't want to have someone's words and I would simply like to ponder this verse for a little longer - before I try to figure it out. I honestly don't know what it means.
8. For my eyes are toward Thee, O God, the LORD; IN THEE I take refuge; do not leave me defenseless.
Yes, my eyes are toward You my God. My LORD; My refuge is found in You. I find my comfort in Your Words, in Your wings, In you LORD. Some might not understand this, and well, I know it doesn't sound possible - but it is - You are my refuge.
9. Keep me from the jaws of the trap which they have set for me, and from the snares of those who do iniquity.
10. Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by safely.
I leave myself in Your Worthy hands my Lord - protect me from those who do not believe me, who do not trust me, who desire to use me, to manipulate, to mangle, to tire, to frustrate what you desire to give me in your wonderful way.
Allow me to be in a safe haven - please - and remind me that this is given to me as a walking text. 'while I pass by safely'... that means I must be moving to receive this safe haven. I must move in my mind and in my thoughts, - in my day in and day out life. This does not go against your planting me, your planting me and not uprooting me...but in my mind and in my thoughts I must move on. In my day in and day out life. Allow me to move more quickly where you want me to be. Please Lord help me in this. Please remove this fear that resides in my spirit. You do not give us a spirit of fear.
Well -- I guess I really did journal a bit on the blog tonight...
What do I get out of this passage?
God listens, shuts my mouth, opens my mouth (if I ask Him to and allow Him to) protects me from evil doers, gives me relationships that strengthen and encourage me, He is my refuge, my defender and HE keeps me safely passing by.
If you look carefully you will see a double rainbow
If I had a wide lens you would see that this rainbow was a complete one.
We saw both of them all the way across the horizon.
Humm a double promise :-).